15 January 2016
Charities measure their impact to make sure every pound they invest in medical research counts.
Quality and standards
- Measuring impact allows charities to understand what is working and informs future research strategy.
- AMRC members use a variety of tools to assess and demonstrate their impact, including retrospective analysis, quinquennial reviews, case studies.
- Mid-sized and small AMRC member charities are able to use the Researchfish evaluation system at no cost for up to three years.
Data and impact
- 41 AMRC members are currently using Researchfish, an online evaluation tool to measure impact.
- From 2014, universities will be assessed on the impact of their research in the Research Excellence Framework (REF).
- MRC researchers reported getting 37% of their further funding from charities
- An AMRC infographics sheet highlights the importance of charities to the UK medical research sector